In this post I want to tell you about keeping your body healthy. Milk Kefir is a new discovery for me! I find mild Kefir very tasty and so useful in the body’s diet! It is a natural product, which is time friendly and ingredient sparse. You simply need milk and milk Kefir grains!
The result is Kefir which is a fermented milk drink made from Kefir grains. Drinking Kefir while refreshing has also some other fantastic qualities such as:
– heal yourself from over 100 diseases;
– harmonize your weight;
– create your home made beauty product from it, such as face, body and head masks;
– make cottage cheese and cheese from it; and
– cook and bake with it, and much more!
Kefir is packed with Vitamin А; Vitamin В1, B2, B12; Vitamin D; Calcium; Iron; Iodine; Zinc; Folic acid; Protein; Milk bacteria; and many other useful ferments and acids. It is thought to help healing in over 100 symptoms and diseases including supporting and strengthening the immune systems. Once you start to take Kefir, you will start to see the effects in 10-14 days with your body clear of toxins. It has also been known to normalize your metabolism thus helping with weight loss.
How to make milk Kefir:
It’s really fun and easy to make a Kefir from milk Kefir grains!
• Kefir Grains-Scoby ( a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast)
Here are a few steps of how to do it:
1. Take a mason jar and pour 1 table spoon of scoby in order to make a glass of milk – 200-250ml.
2. Put the kefir grains into a container and milk on top of it. Cover it with cheese cloth, fix it with a rubber band and live it for about 17-24 hours in dark place. Do not place it where it will be hit with direct sun light.
3. Once the Kefir is ready, take another glass jar and a plastic strainer. Gently stir Kefir with a wooden spoon and strain it into the jar.
4. Carefully and thoroughly wash the grains in room temperature, using slightly cold water. The grains should be clear and resemble small pieces of cauliflower.
5. Thoroughly clean the mason jar with water and natural cleanser. Please don’t use any chemical cleansers.
Once you have more grains, I suggest you divide them into 2 portions for future use.
Important Tips: about taking care of Kefir mushrooms:
– Do not allow the grains to be in contact with any metal, otherwise it can die. Use only glass, plastic or wood tools.
– When you wash the grains, use room temperature water or slightly colder, don’t use warm or too cold water.
– Don’t cover mushroom with the lid, it has to “breath”.
– Put container in shade, do not put it on direct sun light.
– Do not put a jar with milk Kefir mushroom in too cold or too warm places or near heating or cooling electronic devices. Room temperature should not drop below 17C.
– Do not use any chemical dish-washer, but only with water, baking soda and other natural ingredients.
Other useful Tips and information about Kefir mushroom:
– Fermentation process will go faster in warmer temperature and the Kefir mushroom will grow faster in higher percentage milk.
– You are welcome to experiment: try different kinds of milk, goats milk for instance, the taste of Kefir will be different!
– In many articles and books it is recommended to drink about 700-800ml of Kefir a day, better twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.
– If you want to loose weight – drink Kefir in 30 minutes after having a meal, if you want to gain weight – 30 min before having a meal.
– To take Kefir for 20 days and have a break for another 10 days in order to not the get used to it and allow your body to keep working properly.
– If you have to leave for a few days, or take a short break from consuming Kefir, simply take a large container, mix milk with water half-half, put the scoby there and put it into fridge. After coming back, pour sour clotted milk off, and clean Kefir grains with water.
– Healthy grains are white colour, same as milk.
– Within first 10-14 days of consuming Kefir, your digestive system starts work more actively, that might lead to excess gas formation. After 14 days you might notice increase of energy and overall being!
In my next blog post, we will talk about making a cottage cheese form Kefir and recipes of using Kefir in cosmetology.
I will be happy to share with you two large spoonful milk kefir grains to culture up to 3 cups of milk. I also will be happy to give you a small mason jar, so you can safely transport kefir grains and use it to make your home made Kefir! 🙂
Please review my Disclaimer for Health and Wellness Blog, as discussed on this website.
written with love by Maria Sidorova
How do you love playing with Milk Kefir Grains?
Please share in a comment below.